Friday, March 27, 2009

Russell the Pirate didn't make it, but we are having a great time at Vocare International Conference!

We are winding down day two of Vocare International Conference 2009 at Day Spring Conference Center in Parrish, Florida. This is only my second weekend at a flat, beach-like camp (and in the same month!). I grew up in the mountains of east Tennessee and have spent time at Episcopal camps in the mountains, or at least hilly areas, of north Alabama and north Georgia, so Honeycreek near Brunswick (site of Vocare #18) and Day Spring are a new experience for me, but a good one.

Even though Russell the Pirate is not here with me, I brought some of his sense of adventure. This morning I adventured on my own for a sunrise jog around the camp, which was a nice way to start the day. Since the good beginning things have continued to go well. I have met a lot of great fellow Vocati from across the country - California, Nevada, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Florida (of course), and surely some others I am forgetting.

It is great to learn more about the Vocare traditions in other dioceses and make new Episcopals. This evening at dinner I think I finally found the right table mix, because we all shared jokes! I don't know if every Diocese of Georgia and Diocese of Atlanta Vocati loves to tell and hear jokes like I do, but I consider it a bit of a tradition in our Vocare and was excited to extend it here. I was most happy to learn a new pirate joke - What are a pirates favorite cookies? Chips-a-hoooooooooy (with the pirate accent of course) - so awesome!

More stories and pictures from the conference to come, so stay posted all you fans of our amazing blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment