Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rector? Damn near killed her!

So this past weekend (Feb 27-March 1) was Vocare #18 for which I was the Rector.  Now being the Rector is kind of what you would imagine; you're the guy (or girl, but in my case guy) in charge, the decisions run through you.  I loved being Rector, truely loved it and whats more it was an honor.   One of the challenges I faced on the weekend was somewhat unexpected though.  On past Vocares that I have been on staff for, I was a Family Group Leader.  Family group leader really suits me.  It is right in my wheelhouse.  I was able to really get to know the participants on the weekend, make strong connections.

The challenge I ran into as the weekend went on was that I was somewhat disconnected from the experiances the pilgrims were having.  I mean, I was there but I wasn't at the same time. My job was to ensure that things went smoothly, or as smoothly as possible.  My job wasn't to be a Family Group Leader.  As I said before I loved being Rector.  I want to make that clear.  It is an experiance I will take with me always.  But part of the job of being Rector and being on staff for Vocare in general is to give up what you want, for the sake of the participants.  The weekend wasn't about me.  It was about them.  As I said at closing, if it seemed like I was stressed and running around like crazy trying to get things taken care of it was only because I wanted their Vocare experiance to be as special as mine was.  I hope that it was.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment