Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 2-NYC-Sunday

We got up today and went to church at St. John's in the Village. We got lost a few times but finally arrived at the church. The service was very interesting. It was sung with very interesting vestments and different traditions than I think any of us were used to. Afterwards there was a lunch for one of the parishioners, so we said hello to the parishioners for a minute and then moved on to the Cornelia Street Cafe for lunch.

Lunch was ok, but not my favorite. I had some weird salad/egg/bacon/potatoes all together dish. The cafe is apparently frequented by artists and politicians. Many famous people have performed in one of the two shows they have nightly. Afterwards, we headed down to see the Lion King. I got us really lost because I had gotten directions to the wrong address. It was a little chaotic and we all had to take taxis and rush to get there, but we were on time. Bill decided to go home to see his family for Father's Day, so I sold his ticket to a nice gentleman named Bruce. His wife and granddaughter were seeing Billy Elliott, so he was looking for a show to go to.

The Lion King WAS AMAZING. We all were astonished at how amazing it was. I can't even do it justice by trying to explain it, but if you ever get a chance to see DO!!! We all agree that if their set designer would design an Episcopal service, the number of people would triple. :)

Tiffany did our Compline and debrief. We talked about our day and then she taught us a way to sing some of Compline, so that was really cool. Today was kind of rough in terms of getting to know the group. We were a little disorganized and I think people were frustrated with the way I was leading people. I think I am going to try a new approach tomorrow. We all went to dinner kind of separately. Little Beth and I had pizza, and it was a huge slice and delicious. When we got home, Little Beth, David, Tiffany and I played Skip-Bo. David won. Silly newbie. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment