Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A blog entry from Tiffany Hatfield

Wow! I can hardly believe that I am blogging in New York City... I'm so hip and urban now. ;)

Okay, so far this pilgrimage has been really interesting. Yesterday (Monday) perhaps was the most moving day so far, and I imagine for the whole trip. It gave me a unique perspective on what it means to be an American, to be a Christian, to be an Episcopalian. To see the Statue of Liberty from a boat like immigrants to this country would have seen was the start, and then to go to Ellis Island where you can feel the people and hear voices of those who passed through both rooted us in the feeling of arrival that comes on pilgrimage.

To have that feeling combined with the emotions that came earlier that day from walking around Ground Zero was even more intense. Everything about that walk around Ground Zero was surreal. Listening to survivors and rescue workers recounting their tales through my headphones while watching people pass by in the hustle and bustle of city life- seemingly oblivious to their surroundings- gave me a powerful image of what that area was like at 8:30 on September 11. People were just walking along, listening to iPods, talking with their friends, reading briefs for work-- it was so totally normal. Then to think that at 8:46 the whole world changed, and it is likely that some of those people who were hustling along- just like the people I was watching- were gone or about to be. Surreal really doesn't even begin to describe it.

Today was a different experience entirely. It was equally as moving, but for far different reasons and in far different ways. We were welcomed with open arms and hearts to the headquarters of the Episcopal Church by people with an intense passion for the work that they were doing. We talked, shared, and laughed together. I think many of us also allowed ourselves to stand in awe of the great church of which we are a part. These individuals form a tremendous patchwork quilt of ministry that gives the Episcopal Church its own particular flair, and it was a privilege to hear about their ministries and share our passion for our own (young adult ministries). It was also striking how supportive each of these individuals were of each other. You could tell that they enjoyed not only telling about their work but hearing about the others' work as well.

There is so much more to say about this experience, and I am sure that in time I will come back to blog more. For now, let me end by quoting a line from a song in the soundtrack of my favorite movie (You've Got Mail), which has been running through my head all week, "I guess the Lord must be in New York City." Indeed He is.

Blessings and peace!
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment